2010年6月5日 星期六

Trifles 瑣事

"Trifles" by Susan Glaspell (1916)

Scene: The kitchen in the now abandoned farmhouse of John Wright, a gloomy kitchen, and left without having been put in order--unwashed pans under the sink, a loaf of bread outside the breadbox, a dish towel on the table--other signs of incompleted work. At the rear the outer door opens,and the Sheriff comes in, followed by the county Attorney and Hale. The Sheriff and Hale are men in middle life, the county Attorney is a young man; all are much bundled up and go at once to the stove. They are followed by the two women--the Sheriff's Wife first; she is a slight wiry woman, a thin nervous face. Mrs. Hale is larger and would ordinarily be called more comfortable looking, but she is disturbed now and looks fearfully about as she enters. The women have come in slowly and stand close together near the door.
COUNTY ATTORNEY (rubbing his hands). This feels good. Come up to the fire, ladies.
MRS. PETERS (after taking a step forward). I'm not--cold.
SHERIFF (unbuttoning his overcoat and stepping away from the stove as if to the beginning of official business). Now, Mr. Hale, before we move things about, you explain to Mr. Henderson just what you saw when you came here yesterday morning.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. By the way, has anything been moved? Are things just as you left them yesterday?
SHERIFF (looking about). It's just the same. When it dropped below zer0 last night, I thought I'd better send Frank out this morning to make a fire for us--no use getting pneumonia with a big case on; but I told him not to touch anything except the stove--and you know Frank.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. Somebody should have been left here yesterday.
SHERIFF. Oh--yesterday. When I had to send Frank to Morris Center for that man who went crazy--I want you to know I had my hands full yesterday. I knew you could get back from Omaha by today, and as long as I went over everything here myself-
COUNTY ATTORNEY. Well, Mr. Hale, tell just what happened when you came here yesterday morning.
HALE. Harry and I had started to town with a load of potatoes. We came along the road from my place; and as I got here, I said, "I'm going to see if I can't get John Wright to go in with me on a party telephone." I spoke to Wright about it once before, and he put me off, saying folks talked too much anyway, and all he asked was peace and quiet--I guess you know about how much he talked himself; but I thought maybe if I went to the house and talked about it before his wife, though I said to Harry that I didn't know as what his wife wanted made much difference to John--
COUNTY ATTORNEY. Let's talk about that later, Mr. Hale. I do want to talk about that, but tell now just what happened when you got to the house.
HALE. I didn't hear or see anything; I knocked at the door, and still it was all quiet inside. I knew they must be up, it was past eight o'clock. so I knocked again, and I thought I heard somebody say, "Come in." I wasn't sure, I'm not sure yet, but I opened the door--this door (indicating the door by which the two women are still standing), and there in that rocker-- (pointing to it) sat Mrs. Wright. (They all look at the rocker.)
COUNTY ATTORNEY. What--was she doing?
HALE. She was rockin' back and forth. She had her apron in her hand and was kind of--pleating it.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. And how did she--look?
HALE. Well, she looked queer.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. How do you mean--queer?
HALE. Well, as if she didn't know what she was going to do next. And kind of done up.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. How did she seem to feel about your coming?
HALE. Why, I don't think she minded--one way or other. She didn't pay much attention. I said, "How do, Mrs. Wright, it's cold, ain't it?" And she said, "Is it?"--and went on kind of pleating at her apron. Well, I was surprised; she didn't ask me to come up to the stove, or to set down, but just sat there, not even looking at me, so I said, "I want to see John." And then she--laughed. I guess you would call it a laugh. I thought of Harry and the team outside, so I said a little sharp:"Can't I see John?" "No," she says, kind o' dull like. "Ain't he home?" says I. "Yes," says she, "he's home." "Then why can't I see him?" I asked her, out of patience. "'Cause he's dead," says she. "Dead?" says I. She just nodded her head, not getting a bit excited, but rockin' back and forth. "Why--where is he?" says I, not knowing what to say. She just pointed upstairs--like that (himself pointing to the room above). I got up, with the idea of going up there. I talked from there to here--then I says, "Why, what did he die of?" "He died of a rope around his neck," says she, and just went on pleatin' at her apron. Well, I went out and called Harry. I thought I might--need help. We went upstairs, and there he was lying'--
COUNTY ATTORNEY. I think I'd rather have you go into that upstairs, where you can point in all out. Just go on now with the rest of the story.
HALE. Well, my first thought was to get that rope off. I looked...(Stops, his face twitches.)...but Harry, he went up to him, and he said, "No, he's dead all right, and we'd better not touch anything." So we went back downstairs. She was still sitting that same way. "Has anybody been notified?" I asked." "No," says she, unconcerned. "Who did this, Mrs. Wright?" said Harry. He said it business-like--and she stopped pleatin' of her apron. "I don't know," she says. "You don't know?" says Harry. "No," says she, "Weren't you sleepin' in the bed with him?" says Harry. "Yes," says she, "but I was on the inside." "Somebody slipped a rope round his neck and strangled him, and you didn't wake up?" says Harry. "I didn't wake up," she said after him. We must 'a looked as if we didn't see how that could be, for after a minute she said, "I sleep sound." Harry was going to ask her more questions, but I said maybe we ought to let her tell her story first to the coroner, or the sheriff, so Harry went fast as he could to Rivers' place, where there's a telephone.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. And what did Mrs. Wright do when she knew that you had gone for the coroner.
HALE. she moved from that chair to this over here... (Pointing to a small chair in the corner)...and just sat there with her hand held together and looking down. I got a feeling that I ought to make some conversation, so I said I had come in to see if John wanted to put in a telephone, and at that she started to laugh, and then she stopped and looked at me--scared.
(The County Attorney, who has had his notebook out, makes a note.) I dunno, maybe it wasn't scared. I wouldn't like to say it was. Soon Harry got back, and then Dr. Lloyd came, and you, Mr. Peters, and so I guess that's all I know that you don't.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. (looking around). I guess we'll go upstairs first--and then out to the barn and around there. (To the Sheriff). You're convinced that there was nothing important here--nothing that would point to any motive?
SHERIFF. Nothing here but kitchen things.
(The County Attorney, after again looking around the kitchen, opens the door of a cupboard closet. He gets up on a chair and looks on a shelf. Pulls his hand away, sticky.)
COUNTY ATTORNEY. Here's a nice mess.
(The women draw nearer.)
MRS. PETERS (to the other woman). Oh, her fruit; it did freeze. (To the Lawyer). She worried about that when it turned so cold. She said the fire'd go out and her jars would break.
SHERIFF. Well, can you beat the women! Held for murder and worryin' about her preserves.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. I guess before we're through she may have something more serious than preserves to worry about.
HALE. Well, women are used to worrying over trifles.
(The two women move a little closer together.)
COUNTY ATTORNEY (with the gallantry of a young politician). And yet, for all their worries, what would we do without the ladies? (The women do not unbend. He goes to the sink, takes dipperful of water form the pail and, pouring it into a basin, washes his hands. Starts to wipe them on the roller towel, turns it for a cleaner place.) Dirty towels! (Kicks his foot against the pans under the sink.) Not much of a housekeeper, would you say, ladies?
MRS. HALE (stiffly). There's a great deal of work to be done on a farm.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. To be sure. And yet... (With a little bow to her.) ...I know there are some Dickson county farmhouses which do not have such roller towels. (He gives it a pull to expose its full length again.)
MRS. HALE. Those towels get dirty awful quick. Men's hands aren't always as clean as they might be.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. Ah, loyal to your sex, I see. But you and Mrs. Wright were neighbors. I suppose you were friends, too.
MRS. HALE (shaking her head.) I've not seen much of her of late years. I've not been in this house--it's more than a year.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. And why was that? You didn't like her?
MRS. HALE. I liked her all well enough. Farmers' wives have their hands full, Mr. Henderson. And then--
COUNTY ATTORNEY. Yes--?
MRS. HALE (looking about.) It never seemed a very cheerful place.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. No--it's not cheerful. I shouldn't say she had the homemaking instinct.
MRS. HALE. Well, I don't know as Wright had, either.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. You mean that they didn't get on very well?
MRS. HALE. No, I don't mean anything. But I don't think a place'd be any cheerfuller for John Wright's being in it.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. I'd like to talk more of that a little later. I want to get the lay of things upstairs now. (He goes to the left, where three steps lead to a stair door.)
SHERIFF. I suppose anything Mrs. Peters does'll be all right. She was to take in some clothes for her, you know, and a few little things. We left in such a hurry yesterday.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. Yes, but I would like to see what you take, Mrs. Peters, and keep an eye out for anything that might be of use to us.
MRS. PETERS. Yes, Mr. Henderson.
(The women listen to the men's steps on the stairs, then look about the kitchen.)
MRS. HALE. I'd hate to have men coming into my kitchen, snooping around and criticizing. (She arranges the pans under sink which the Lawyer had shoved out of place.)
MRS. PETERS. Of course it's no more than their duty.
MRS. HALE. Duty's all right, but I guess that deputy sheriff that came out to make the fire might have got a little of this on. (Gives the roller towel a pull.) Wish I'd thought of that sooner. Seems mean to talk about her for not having things slicked up when she had to come away in such a hurry.
MRS. PETERS. (who has gone to a small table in the left rear corner of the room, and lifted on end of a towel that covers a pan). She had bread set. (Stands still.)
MRS. HALE (eyes fixed on a loaf of bread beside the breadbox, which is on a low shelf at the other side of the room. Moves slowly toward it.)she was going to put this in there. (Picks up loaf, then abruptly drops it. In a manner of returning to familiar things.) It's a shame about her fruit. I wonder if it's all gone. (Gets up on the chair and looks.) I think there's some here that's all right, Mrs. Peters. Yes--here; (Holding it toward the window.) This is cherries, too. (Looking again.) I declare I believe that's the only one. (Gets down, bottle in her hand. Goes to the sink and wipes it off on the outside.) She'll feel awful bad after all her hard work in the hot weather. I remember the afternoon I put up my cherries last summer.
(She puts the bottle on the big kitchen table, center of the room, front table. With a sigh, is about to sit down in the rocking chair. Before she is seated realizes what chair it is; with a slow look at it, steps back. The chair, which she has touched, rocks back and forth.)
MRS. PETERS. Well, I must get those things from the front room closet. [She goes to the door at the right, but after looking into the other room, steps back.] You coming with me, Mrs. Hale? You could help me carry them. (They go into the other room; reappear, Mrs. Peters carrying a dress and skirt, Mrs. Hale following with a pair of shoes.)
MRS. PETERS. My, it's cold in there. (She puts the cloth on the big table, and hurries to the stove.)
MRS HALE (examining the skirt). Wright was close. I think maybe that's why she kept so much to herself. She didn't even belong to the Ladies' Aid. I suppose she felt she couldn't do her part, and then you don't enjoy things when you feel shabby. She used to wear pretty clothes and be lively, when she was MInnie Foster, one of the town girls singing in the choir. But that--oh, that was thirty years ago. This all you was to take?
MRS. PETERS. She said she wanted an apron. Funny thing to want, for there isn't much to get you dirty in jail, goodness knows. But I suppose just to make her feel more natural. She said they was in the top drawer in this cupboard. Yes, here. And then her little shawl that always hung behind the door. (Opens stair door and looks.) Yes, here it is. (Quickly shuts door leading upstairs..)
MRS. HALE (abruptly moving toward her.) Mrs. Peters?
MRS. PETERS. Do you think she did it?
MRS. PETERS (in a frightened voice.) Oh, I don't know.
MRS. HALE. Well, I don't think she did. Asking for an apron and her little shawl. Worrying about her fruit.
MRS. PETERS (starts to speak, glances up, where footsteps are heard in the room above. In a low voice.) Mrs. Peters says it looks bad for her. Mr. Henderson is awful sarcastic in speech, and he'll make fun of her sayin' she didn't wake up.
MRS. HALE. Well, I guess John Wright didn't wake when they was slipping that rope under his neck.
MRS. PETERS. No, it's strange. It must have been done awful crafty and still. They say it was such a --funny way to kill a man, rigging it all up like that.
MRS. HALE. That's just what Mr. Hale said. There was a gun in the house. He says that's what he can't understand.
MRS. PETERS. Mr. Henderson said coming out that what was needed for the case was a motive; something to show anger or--sudden feeling.
MRS. HALE (who is standing by the table). Well, I don't see any signs of anger around here. (she puts her hand on the dish towel which lies on the table, stands looking down at the table, one half of which is clean, the other half messy.) It's wiped here. (Makes a move as if to finish work, then turns and looks at loaf of bread outside the breadbox. Drops towel. In that voice of coming back to familiar things. ) Wonder how they are finding things upstairs? I hope she had it a little more there. You know, it seems kind of sneaking. Locking her up in town and then coming out here and trying to get her own house to turn against her!
MRS. PETERS. But, Mrs. Hale, the law is the law.
MRS. HALE. I s'pose 'tis. (Unbuttoning her coat.) Better loosen up your things, Mrs. Peters. You won't feel them when you go out. (Mrs. Peters takes off her fur tippet, goes to hang it on hook at the back of room, stands looking at the under part of the small corner table.)
MRS. PETERS. She was piecing a quilt. (She brings the large sewing basket, and they look at the bright pieces.)
MRS. HALE. It's log cabin pattern. Pretty, isn't it? I wonder if she was goin' to quilt or just knot it? (Footsteps have been heard coming down the stairs. The Sheriff enters, followed by Hale and the County Attorney.)
SHERIFF. They wonder if she was going to quilt it or just knot it. (The men laugh, the women look abashed.)
COUNTY ATTORNEY (rubbing his hands over the stove). Frank's fire didn't do much up there, did it? Well, let's go out to the barn and get that cleared up. (The men go outside.)
MRS. HALE (resentfully). I don't know as there's anything so strange, our takin' up our time with little things while we're waiting for them to get the evidence. (She sits down at the big table, smoothing out a block with decision.) I don't see as it's anything to laugh about.
MRS. PETERS. (apologetically). Of course they've got awful important things on their minds. (Pulls up a chair and joins Mrs. Hale at the table.)
MRS. HALE (examining another block.) Mrs. Peters, look at this one. Here, this is the one she was working on, and look at the sewing! All the rest of it has been so nice and even. And look at this! It's all over the place! Why, it looks as if she didn't know what she was about! (After she has said this, they look at each other, then start to glance back at the door. After an instant Mrs. Hale has pulled at a knot and ripped the sewing.)
MRS. PETERS. Oh, what are you doing, Mrs. Hale?
MRS. HALE (mildly). Just pulling out a stitch or two that's not sewed very good. (Threading a needle). Bad sewing always made me fidgety.
MRS. PETERS. (nervously). I don't think we ought to touch things.
MRS. HALE. I'll just finish up this end. (Suddenly stopping and leaning forward.) Mrs. Peters?
MRS. PETERS. Yes, Mrs. Hale?
MRS. HALE. What do you suppose she was so nervous about?
MRS. PETERS. Oh--I don't know. I don't know as she was nervous. I sometimes sew awful queer when I'm just tired. (Mrs. Hale starts to say something looks at Mrs. Peters, then goes on sewing.) Well, I must get these things wrapped up. They may be through sooner than we think. (Putting apron and other things together.) I wonder where I can find a piece of paper, and string.
MRS. HALE. In that cupboard, maybe.
MRS. PETER. (looking in cupboard). Why, here's a birdcage. (Holds it up.) Did she have a bird, Mrs. Hale?
MRS. HALE. Why, I don't know whether she did or not--I've not been here for so long. There was a man around last year selling canaries cheap, but I don't know as she took one; maybe she did. She used to sing real pretty herself.
MRS. PETERS. (glancing around). Seems funny to think of a bird here. But she must have had one, or why should she have a cage? I wonder what happened to it?
MRS. HALE. I s'pose maybe the cat got it.
MRS. PETERS. No, she didn't have a cat. She's got that feeling some people have about cats--being afraid of them. My cat got in her room, and she was real upset and asked me to take it out.
MRS. HALE. My sister Bessie was like that. Queer, ain't it?
MRS. PETERS. (examining the cage). Why, look at this door. It's broke. One hinge is pulled apart.
MRS. HALE. (looking, too.) Looks as if someone must have been rough with it.
MRS. PETERS. Why, yes. (she brings the cage forward and puts it on the table.)
MRS. HALE. I wish if they're going to find any evidence they'd be about it. I don't like this place.
MRS. PETERS. But I'm awful glad you came with me, Mrs. Hale. It would be lonesome of me sitting here alone.
MRS. HALE. It would, wouldn't it? (Dropping her sewing). But I tell you what I do wish, Mrs. Peters. I wish I had come over sometimes she was here. I-- (Looking around the room.)--wish I had.
MRS. PETERS. But of course you were awful busy, Mrs. Hale---your house and your children.
MRS. HALE. I could've come. I stayed away because it weren't cheerful--and that's why I ought to have come. I--I've never liked this place. Maybe because it's down in a hollow, and you don't see the road. I dunno what it is, but it's a lonesome place and always was. I wish I had come over to see Minnie Foster sometimes. I can see now--(Shakes her head.)
MRS. PETERS. Well, you mustn't reproach yourself, Mrs. Hale. Somehow we just don't see how it is with other folks until--something comes up.
MRS. HALE. Not having children makes less work--but it makes a quiet house, and Wright out to work all day, and no company when he did come in. Did you know John Wright, Mrs. Peters?
MRS. PETERS. Not to know him; I've seen him in town. They say he was a good man.
MRS. HALE. Yes--good; he didn't drink, and kept his word as well as most, I guess, and paid his debts. But he was a hard man, Mrs. Peters. Just to pass the time of day with him. (Shivers.) Like a raw wind that gets to the bone. (Pauses, her eye falling on the cage.) I should think she would 'a wanted a bird. But what do you suppose went with it?
MRS. PETERS. I don't know, unless it got sick and died. (She reaches over and swings the broken door, swings it again; both women watch it.)
MRS.> HALE. She--come to think of it, she was kind of like a bird herself--real sweet and pretty, but kind of timid and--fluttery. How--she--did--change. (Silence; then as if struck by a happy thought and relieved to get back to everyday things.) Tell you what, Mrs. Peters, why don't you take the quilt in with you? It might take up her mind.
MRS. PETERS. Why, I think that's a real nice idea, Mrs. Hale. There couldn't possible be any objection to it, could there? Now, just what would I take? I wonder if her patches are in here--and her things. (They look in the sewing basket.)
MRS. HALE. Here's some red. I expect this has got sewing things in it (Brings out a fancy box.) What a pretty box. Looks like something somebody would give you. Maybe her scissors are in here. (Opens box. Suddenly puts her hand to her nose.) Why-- (Mrs. Peters bend nearer, then turns her face away.) There's something wrapped up in this piece of silk.
MRS. PETERS. Why, this isn't her scissors.
MRS. HALE (lifting the silk.) Oh, Mrs. Peters--it's-- (Mrs. Peters bend closer.)
MRS. PETERS. It's the bird.
MRS. HALE (jumping up.) But, Mrs. Peters--look at it. Its neck! Look at its neck! It's all--other side to.
MRS. PETERS. Somebody--wrung--its neck.
(Their eyes meet. A look of growing comprehension of horror. Steps are heard outside. Mrs. Hale slips box under quilt pieces, and sinks into her chair. Enter Sheriff and County Attorney. Mrs. Peters rises.)
COUNTY ATTORNEY (as one turning from serious thing to little pleasantries). Well, ladies, have you decided whether she was going to quilt it or knot it?
MRS. PETERS. We think she was going to--knot it.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. Well, that's interesting, I'm sure. (Seeing the birdcage.) Has the bird flown?
MRS. HALE (putting more quilt pieces over the box.) We think the--cat got it.
COUNTY ATTORNEY (preoccupied). Is there a cat?
(Mrs. Hale glances in a quick covert way at Mrs. Peters.
) MRS. PETERS. Well, not now. They're superstitious, you know. They leave.
COUNTY ATTORNEY (to Sheriff Peters, continuing an interrupted conversation.) No sign at all of anyone having come from the outside. Their own rope. Now let's go up again and go over it piece by piece. (They start upstairs.) It would have to have been someone who knew just the--
(Mrs. Peters sits down. The two women sit there not looking at one another, but as if peering into something and at the same time holding back. When they talk now, it is the manner of feeling their way over strange ground, as if afraid of what they are saying, but as if they cannot help saying it.) MRS. HALE. She liked the bird. She was going to bury it in that pretty box.
MRS. PETERS. (in a whisper). When I was a girl--my kitten--there was a boy took a hatchet, and before my eyes--and before I could get there--(Covers her face an instant.) If they hadn't held me back, I would have-- (Catches herself, looks upstairs, where steps are heard, falters weakly.)--hurt him.
MRS. HALE (with a slow look around her.) I wonder how it would seem never to have had any children around. (Pause.) No, Wright wouldn't like the bird--a thing that sang. She used to sing. He killed that, too.
MRS. PETERS (moving uneasily). We don't know who killed the bird.
MRS. HALE. I knew John Wright.
MRS. PETERS. It was an awful thing was done in this house that night, Mrs. Hale. Killing a man while he slept, slipping a rope around his neck that choked the life out of him.
MRS. HALE. His neck, Choked the life out of him.
(Her hand goes out and rests on the birdcage.) MRS. PETERS (with a rising voice). We don't know who killed him. We don't know.
MRS. HALE (her own feeling not interrupted.) If there'd been years and years of nothing, then a bird to sing to you, it would be awful--still, after the bird was still.
MRS. PETERS (something within her speaking). I know what stillness is. When we homesteaded in Dakota, and my first baby died--after he was two years old, and me with no other then--
MRS. HALE (moving). How soon do you suppose they'll be through, looking for evidence?
MRS. PETERS. I know what stillness is. (Pulling herself back). The law has got to punish crime, Mrs. Hale. MRS. HALE (not as if answering that). I wish you'd seen MInnie Foster when she wore a white dress with blue ribbons and stood up there in the choir and sang. (A look around the room). Oh, I wish I'd come over here once in a while! That was a crime! That was a crime! Who's going to punish that?
MRS. Peters (looking upstairs). We mustn't--take on.
MRS. HALE. I might have known she needed help! I know how things can be--for women. I tell you, it's queer, Mrs. Peters. We live close together and we live far apart. We all go through the same things--it's all just a different kind of the same thing. (Brushes her eyes, noticing the bottle of fruit, reaches out for it.) If I was you, I wouldn't tell her her fruit was gone. Tell her it ain't. Tell her it's all right. Take this in to prove it to her. She--she may never know whether it was broke or not.
MRS. PETERS (takes the bottle, looks about for something to wrap it in; takes petticoat from the clothes brought from the other room, very nervously begins winding this around the bottle. In a false voice). My, it's a good thing the men couldn't hear us. Wouldn't they just laugh! Getting all stirred up over a little thing like a--dead canary. As if that could have anything to do with--with--wouldn't they laugh!
(The men are heard coming downstairs.) MRS. HALE (under her breath). Maybe they would--maybe they wouldn't.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. No, Peters, it's all perfectly clear except a reason for doing it. But you know juries when it comes to women. If there was some definite thing. Something to show--something to make a story about--a thing that would connect up with this strange way of doing it.
(The women's eyes meet for an instant. Enter Hale from outer door.)
HALE. Well, I've got the team around. Pretty cold out there.
COUNTY ATTORNEY. I'm going to stay here awhile by myself (To the Sheriff). You can send Frank out for me, can't you? I want to go over everything. I'm not satisfied that we can't do better.
SHERIFF. Do you want to see what Mrs. Peters is going to take in?
(The Lawyer goes to the table, picks up the apron, laughs.) COUNTY ATTORNEY. Oh I guess they're not very dangerous things the ladies have picked up. (Moves a few things about, disturbing the quilt pieces which cover the box. Steps back.) No, Mrs. Peters doesn't need supervising. For that matter, a sheriff's wife is married to the law. Ever think of it that way, Mrs. Peters?
MRS. PETERS. Not--just that way.
SHERIFF (chuckling). Married to the law. (Moves toward the other room.) I just want you to come in here a minute, George. We ought to take a look at these windows.
COUNTY ATTORNEY (scoffingly). Oh, windows!
SHERIFF. We'll be right out, Mr. Hale.
(Hale goes outside. The Sheriff follows the County Attorney into the other room. Then Mrs. Hale rises, hands tight together, looking intensely at Mrs. Peters, whose eyes take a slow turn, finally meeting Mrs. Hale's. A moment Mrs. Hale holds her, then her own eyes point the way to where the box is concealed. Suddenly Mrs. Peters throws back quilt pieces and tries to put the box in the bag she is wearing. It is too big. She opens box, starts to take the bird out, cannot touch it, goes to pieces, stands there helpless. Sound of a knob turning in the other room. Mrs. Hale snatches the box and puts it in the pocket of her big coat. Enter County Attorney and Sheriff.)
COUNTY ATTORNEY (facetiously). Well, Henry, at least we found out that she was not going to quilt it. She was going to--what is it you call it, ladies!
MRS. HALE (her hand against her pocket). We call it--knot it, Mr. Henderson.





人物:喬治·亨德森(鄉村律師)
  亨利·彼得斯(警長)
  劉易斯·黑爾(一個住在附近的農民)
  彼得斯太太
  黑爾太太
  場景:約翰·賴特家的廚房像是被廢棄了一樣,裡面陰森森的,雜亂一團:沒有清洗的平底鍋躺在水槽裡,一塊麵包留在麵包盒外,洗碗帕耷拉在桌子上,從種種跡象看來:活才幹了一半。後面的大門開了,警長走了進來,身後跟著鄉村律師和農民黑爾。警長和黑爾都已是中年,而鄉村律師還是個年輕人。大家都緊了緊衣服,趕快向火爐邊靠去。後面跟進來兩個女人:警長的老婆先進來,她長得瘦高個兒,瘦削的臉有些羞怯;而黑爾太太體格稍顯豐滿,相貌看起來自然,也更討人喜歡。但此時她非常不安,進來時驚恐地四下張望。兩個女人慢慢地走到一塊兒,緊挨著站在門邊。
  
  律師:(搓手)這下好了。過來烤火吧,女士們。
  彼得斯太太:(向前邁了一步)我不——冷。
  警長:(解開他的外套,離開火爐像是要開始幹正事了)黑爾,這樣吧。在我們搜查這屋裡的東西之前,你先向亨德森先生講一下昨天早上你看到的情況。
  律師:順便問一下,你們動過這裡的東西嗎?保持著昨天的原樣嗎?
  警長:(環視四周)還是原樣。只是我想到昨天晚上氣溫已經降到了零下,就叫弗蘭克今天早上過來幫我們生了火。要是大家帶著肺炎查案子就不好了。不過,我囑咐過他,除了爐子不要動任何東西。你們該信得過弗蘭克吧。
  律師:昨天該有人在這裡留守的。
  警長:哈,昨天。那會兒我得派弗蘭克去默瑞斯中心找那個精神失常的人。而我昨天也忙得不可開交。我知道你會在今天之前從歐馬哈趕回來,既然我親自察看過這裡的一切……
  律師:好了,黑爾,告訴我昨天早上你來這兒時出了什麼事?
  黑爾:哈里和我推了一車土豆準備去鎮上賣。我們出門就沿著大路走,走到這兒時,我對哈里說:「我去看看能否讓約翰改變主意,和我一起裝個共用電話。」之前我已經跟他說過一次了。他拒絕了我,說鄉里們閒聊得已經夠多的了,他只想清靜一點。我猜你也曉得他的話本來就不多。不過我想,指不定到他家去,當著他老婆的面說這個事兒可能會好一點。不過,我對哈里說,我並沒有把握他老婆會讓他回心轉意。
  律師:黑爾,這個嘛,我們晚點再談吧。我倒是很想瞭解這些情況的,只是現在你還是先告訴我,昨天早上你踏進這房子的時候,這裡到底發生了什麼事?
  黑爾:當時,我聽不到聲響,也不見有人來。我敲了門,可屋裡頭就是沒人應。我琢磨著他們也該起床了,那會兒已經過了8點。於是,我又敲了敲門,聽見有人說「進來」。我當時就沒搞明白,甚至現在都不明白。可是,當我打開門——就是這扇門(指著那扇門,兩個女人仍然站在旁邊),還有賴特太太正坐在——那把搖椅上(指著它)。(他們都看著那把搖椅。)
  律師:她在做什麼?
  黑爾:她正坐在椅子上前搖後擺的,手裡拿著自己的圍裙,像是在——打褶子。
  律師:她看起來如何?
  黑爾:哦,她看起來很奇怪。
  律師:怎麼個奇怪法?
  黑爾:嗯,她好像不知道接下來該幹啥似的。好像在系什麼東西。
  律師:看到你進來,她有何反應?
  黑爾:這個嘛,我想她多少有點漠不關心。她並沒有在意我。我說:「你好,賴特太太,天兒真冷,是吧?」而她說:「冷嗎?」——說完又繼續在圍裙上打褶子。嘿,我很吃驚。她既不叫我到火爐旁去烤火,也不請我坐下,就在那兒坐著,甚至連看都不看我一眼。那我就說:「我想見見約翰。」她當時就笑了,如果那也叫笑的話。我想到哈里和牲口還在外面,就有點急了,「我就不能見見約翰嗎?」「不能。」她悶悶地說。「他不在家嗎?」我問。「不是。在家。」她又說。「那為什麼不能見?」我有點不耐煩地問。她說:「因為他已經死了。」「死了?」我說。她只是點點頭,卻一點也不激動,只是不停地搖來搖去。「為什麼——他在哪裡?」我不知道該說什麼好。她只是指著樓上,像這樣(他自己指著上面的房間)。我站起來,想去樓上看看。我從那兒走到這兒,然後我說:「他為什麼會死?是怎麼死的?」「被繩子勒死的。」她說完又接著給她的圍裙打褶子。唉,我出去叫哈里,因為我覺得或許得有個幫手。我和哈里上了樓,看見他就躺在那兒……
律師:我很想到樓上看看去。這樣,你可以向我詳細說明事情經過。現在繼續把你的故事講完吧。
  黑爾:嗯,我首先想到的是將繩子取下來,那像是……(突然停住,他的臉抽搐了一下。) 但哈里走了過去,說:「別,他肯定已經死了。我們最好不要動任何東西。」於是,我們就下了樓。她還是那樣坐著。我問道:「報案了嗎?」她毫不關心地說:「沒有。」「是誰幹的,賴特太太?」哈里又問。他像是例行公事一樣。她停下手裡的活兒說:「我不知道。」哈里問:「你不知道?」她說:「不知道。」「你不是睡在他的身邊嗎?」哈里又問。她又說:「是。但我睡在裡面。」「有人偷偷把繩子套在他的脖子上,而你卻沒有醒?」哈里說。她接著說:「我睡得很死。」哈里還想再問一些問題,但我說,我們最好讓她先將事情經過告訴驗屍官或者警長什麼的。於是,哈里以最快的速度趕到了瑞威爾,為的是用那兒的電話找人。
  律師:那麼,當賴特太太知道你們去找驗屍官時,她有什麼反應?
  黑爾:她從那把椅子移到了另一把上(指著角落裡的一把小椅子)。她只是坐在那兒握著雙手,盯著下面。我覺得我應該聊點兒什麼,於是我就說,我來是想看看約翰願不願意裝個電話。她突然笑了起來,接著又不笑了,並驚恐地看著我。(律師拿出筆記本,做起了筆記。)我不知道,也許她並沒有被嚇住。我想沒有吧。不一會兒哈里就回來了,羅依德醫生也來了,接著你和彼得斯先生也趕來了。我知道的就這麼多,其他的你們都知道了。
  律師:(四下裡看)我想我們應該先去樓上看看——再到外面棚捨和周圍轉轉。(對警長說)你確定沒有漏掉什麼重要的東西嗎?任何可以確定動機的東西? 
  警長:除了廚房裡用的東西什麼都沒有。(律師又環視了一下廚房,然後打開櫥櫃的門。他踩上一把椅子,往架子上看了看。他脫出手來,感覺黏糊糊的。)
  律師:這裡簡直一片狼藉。(兩個女人靠得更近了。)
  彼得斯太太:(對另一個女人說)呀,她的果醬真的凍住了。(又對律師說)她就擔心天一變,果醬會被凍住。她說,爐火滅了,果醬瓶就會裂。
  警長:哼,真搞不懂女人啊!都已經被控謀殺了,收押期間還在擔心她的果醬。
  律師:在結束調查以前,她可能有比果醬更需要擔心的事兒。
  黑爾:嘿,女人就愛關心這些雞毛蒜皮的事。(兩個女人又靠近了些。)
  律師:(帶著青年政治家的剛毅)雖然她們總在乎這些瑣碎的事,不過,要沒有女人還真不行。(女人們並沒有因此而釋然。他走向水槽,從桶裡舀了一瓢水倒到盆子裡洗了手,並用毛巾擦乾淨。他翻來覆去想找塊乾淨點的地方。)髒死了!(踹了一腳放在水槽裡的平底鍋。)她這個家庭主婦可真不像樣。你們說呢,女士們?
  黑爾太太:(生硬地)農場裡有很多活兒要幹。
  律師:那是當然。(向她們微微鞠躬)但我知道有個狄克森縣的農莊,他們家裡的滾筒毛巾就不是這樣的。(他又扯了扯毛巾將其展開。)
  黑爾太太:那些毛巾很快就會被弄髒。男人們的手並不一直像他們想像的那麼乾淨。
  律師:啊,看來你倒挺忠於你的性別的。畢竟你和賴特太太是鄰居嘛。我想你們也是朋友吧。
  黑爾太太:(搖頭)最近幾年我很少來拜訪她。我已經好久沒來這房子了——有一年多了。
  律師:為什麼呢?你不喜歡她嗎?
  黑爾太太:我非常喜歡她。農民的老婆有好多事做,脫不開手啊,亨德森先生。而且那會兒——
  律師:怎麼了?
  黑爾太太:(瞅瞅四周)這兒壓根兒就不像是個叫人快活的地兒。
  律師:是啊,這裡令人很不愉快。我猜她沒什麼打理家務的本事。
  黑爾太太:嗯,我想賴特也是一樣。
  律師:你是說他們相處得不怎麼好?
  黑爾太太:不,我可沒這個意思。不過,我覺得要是有約翰·賴特在的話,這屋子就叫人愉快不了。
  律師:關於這個問題,我們待會兒再談,現在我想先去處理樓上的事兒。(他向左邊走去,從那上三個台階就有一個樓門。)
  警長:我想彼得斯太太會把事情安排妥當的。她會為賴特太太收拾一些衣服和小物品。我們昨天離開的時候有些匆忙。
  律師:好。但我想看看你都收拾了些什麼,彼得斯太太,還得留意任何可能對我們有用的東西。
  彼得斯太太:好的,亨德森先生。(女人們聽到男人們上樓去了,四處瞧了瞧廚房。)
  黑爾太太:我就討厭男人到我的廚房來,東看看,西看看,還在那兒指手畫腳的。(她正了正水槽裡被律師踢歪的平底鍋。)
  彼得斯太太:自然的啦,他們也只不過是職責所在嘛。
  黑爾太太:職責倒是沒錯,不過我猜來生火的副警長可能在這上面蹭過。(扯了扯滾筒毛巾)我早該想到這一點。怪她因匆忙間離開,而沒把東西收拾好,似乎有點卑鄙。
  彼得斯太太:(走向屋子左後方角落的一張桌子,提起蓋著平底鍋的毛巾一角)她擺著麵包呢。(靜靜地站著。)
  黑爾太太:(目光落在一塊放在麵包盒旁邊的麵包上。麵包盒就放在屋子另一頭的矮架子上。她慢慢地走了過去)她要把這個放到裡邊去。(拿起那塊麵包,突然又扔下,注意力又回到果醬上)她的果醬真可惜了。不知道是不是全都壞了。(從椅子上站了起來看了看)我想有些還是好的。彼得斯太太,是的——這兒。(對著窗戶拿著它)這也是草莓的。(又看了看)我猜只剩下這些了吧。(手裡拿著瓶子,走到水槽旁,將外面的東西衝洗乾淨)大熱天做這些辛苦活,她肯定難受極了。記得去年夏天的某個下午,我自己也在做草莓醬。(她把瓶子放在屋子中間的那張大餐桌上,歎了口氣,想要坐在那把搖椅上。剛要坐下的時候突然想到那椅子意味著什麼。她緩緩地將其打量了一番,又退了回來。那椅子由於推力前後擺動起來。)
  彼得斯太太:嗯,我得去前屋的櫃子裡拿些東西。(她向右邊的門走去,但是向另一間屋子看了看又退了回來。)你和我一起嗎,黑爾太太?你可以幫我搬一下。(她們走進另一間屋子。再出來時彼得斯太太拿了一條裙子和一件襯衣,黑爾太太也提著一雙鞋跟了出來。)
  彼得斯太太:我的天啊,可真冷。(她把衣服放在那張大桌子上,趕緊湊近火爐。)
  黑爾太太:(清理襯衣)賴特很吝嗇,所以她很少與人交往。她甚至沒有參加婦女互助會。我想她是交不起會費。人感到自己很寒酸時,是難以享受快樂的。她以前常穿得漂漂亮亮,生機勃勃的。那會兒她還是少女米莉·佛斯特,鎮上女子合唱團的成員。但那——唉,那都已經是三十年前的事兒了。你就帶這些?
  彼得斯太太:她說她想要一條圍裙。真有意思,監獄裡有什麼會弄髒衣服呢,天知道。不過,我猜她只是想讓自己覺得更自然一些吧。她說東西在這個櫃子最上面的抽屜裡,在這兒,還有她一直掛在門後的小披肩。(打開樓梯門看了一下)在這兒呢。(趕快關上通往樓上的門。)
  黑爾太太:(迅速靠近她)彼得斯太太?
  彼得斯太太:什麼事?黑爾太太?
  黑爾太太:你認為是她幹的嗎?
  彼得斯太太:(用一種驚恐的聲音)啊,我不知道。
  黑爾太太:嗯,我想不是她幹的。她還想要一條圍裙和她的小披肩,甚至還在擔心她的果醬。
  彼得斯太太:(想要開口,瞥了一眼樓上腳步聲傳來的地方,低聲地)彼得斯先生說,情況看起來對她非常不利。亨德森先生很喜歡在法庭辯論中諷刺人。他會取笑她沒有被驚醒的說法的。
  黑爾太太:噢,我想繩子套在約翰·賴特脖子上時他並沒有醒。
  彼得斯太太:是啊,這也太奇怪了。那必須得很有技巧才行,而且還沒有聲響。他們說,像這樣草草了事的殺人方法真是蹊蹺。
黑爾太太:黑爾先生就是這麼說的。屋裡有一支槍,他也搞不清楚怎麼回事。
  彼得斯太太:亨德森先生說,要想一切水落石出,只需要一個動機:憤怒或者情緒突變的跡象。
  黑爾太太:(站在桌子旁)呃,我並沒有發現任何憤怒的跡象。(她一手搭在桌上的洗碗帕上,站在那兒看著桌子。桌子的一半是乾淨的,另一半卻很零亂。)只擦到這兒。(像是要把活做完,又轉身看著麵包盒外的那塊麵包。丟下毛巾,用一種言歸正傳的口吻)不知道他們在樓上找得怎麼樣了。我希望她樓上的東西會整潔點。你瞧,這像是在偷竊。把她關在鎮上,我們卻到這兒來,為的是利用她自己的房子來給她定罪。
  彼得斯太太:但是,黑爾太太,法律畢竟是法律啊。
  黑爾太太:我想是的。(解開她的外套)最好鬆一鬆你的衣服,彼得斯太太。出去的時候會舒服點兒。(彼得斯太太脫掉她的毛皮披肩,掛在房間後面的掛鉤上,站在那兒看著那張角桌的底部。)
  彼得斯太太:她正在做百衲被呢。(拿起那個巨大的針線簍,她們看著那些鮮艷的碎布。)
  黑爾太太:是個圓木小屋圖案,很漂亮吧?我不知道她是要走平針呢還是要打花結?(聽到腳步聲到了樓下,警長走進來,後面跟著黑爾和鄉村律師。)
  警長:她們不知道她是要走平針呢還是要打花結。(男人們笑了起來,女人們看起來很尷尬。)
  律師:(在火爐旁搓手)弗蘭克生的火對上面可沒起什麼作用,是吧?現在我們到外面棚捨去看看,把這事兒解決了。(男人們走了出去。)
  黑爾太太:(懊悔地)有什麼大驚小怪的,我們只是在等他們收集證據的空當做些家務活兒而已。(她在大桌子前坐下來,麻利地收拾起桌上的雜物來)這沒有什麼好笑的? 
  彼得斯太太:(表示歉意地)當然了,他們有更重要的事要考慮嘛。(拉出一把椅子和黑爾太太一起坐在桌子前。)
  黑爾太太:(清理其他雜物)彼得斯太太,看看這個。喏,這就是她正在做的活兒。瞧瞧這針腳!都這麼漂亮、平整。快看這兒!這兒全歪了!哎呀,看起來她像是有點心不在焉。(話音剛落,她們互望一眼,接著向後瞅了一眼門口。黑爾太太快速地把一個結拉開,把縫好的針腳扯開。)
  彼得斯太太:你幹什麼呀,黑爾太太?
  黑爾太太:(溫和地)就拉脫了一兩個沒有縫好的針腳。(穿上針)我永遠無法忍受蹩腳的針線活兒。
  彼得斯太太:(緊張地)我覺得咱們不該碰那些東西。
  黑爾太太:我只是想收個尾。(突然停下來,向前靠去)彼得斯太太。
  彼得斯太太:怎麼了,黑爾太太?
  黑爾太太:你說她在緊張什麼呢?
  彼得斯太太:噢,我不知道。不知道當時她是不是有些不安。不過有時我累了也會縫得很亂。(黑爾太太還想說什麼,看了看彼得斯太太,又接著縫了起來。)我得把這些東西打包,他們可能結束得比我們想像的要快。(把圍裙和其他東西放在一起)得找一張紙和一根繩子。
  黑爾太太:櫥櫃裡也許有吧。
  彼得斯太太:(到櫥櫃裡看)這兒怎麼會有個鳥籠?(拿起來)她養鳥嗎,黑爾太太?
  黑爾太太:我不知道她是不是有——我好久沒來了。大概是去年吧,這兒來了個賣鳥人,他賣的金絲雀特別便宜,但我不知道她也買了一隻。也許她買了吧。過去她的歌唱得可好了。
  彼得斯太太:(向周圍掃了一眼)有隻鳥在這裡,似乎有點奇怪。她肯定養過一隻,要不怎麼會有個籠子呢?不知道出了啥事?
  黑爾太太:我猜是貓把它叼走了。
  彼得斯太太:不,她沒有貓。她是那種對貓很反感的人——她怕貓。我的貓闖進她房間的時候,她被嚇壞了,叫我把它帶出去。
  黑爾太太:我姐姐貝絲也是這樣,很奇怪,不是嗎?
  彼得斯太太:(檢查籠子)咦?看這扇門,怎麼壞了?一個合頁都被拉脫了。
  黑爾太太:(也看到了)好像是有人使勁把它掰開的。
  彼得斯太太:喲,是啊。(她把籠子提上前來,放在桌子上。)
  黑爾太太:但願他們能盡快找到證據,我可不喜歡呆在這個地方。
  彼得斯太太:但我很高興你能和我一起來,黑爾太太。我一個人坐在這裡肯定悶死了。
  黑爾太太:是啊,可不是嗎?(扔下她的活兒)但我跟你說我最希望的是什麼,彼得斯太太。她在那會兒,我能時常過來就好了。我——(看了看四周)要是這樣就好了。
  彼得斯太太:但你也很忙啊,黑爾太太——你要打掃屋子和照顧孩子。
  黑爾太太:我應該過來的。因為這房子讓人不愉快,所以我迴避了——正因為這樣我才應該過來。我——我從來都不喜歡這地方。也許因為它在山谷裡,看不到它的通路。我不知道怎麼回事,這是個偏僻的地方,而且一直都是。要是我能時常過來看看米莉·佛斯特就好了。看到現在——(搖搖頭。)
  彼得斯太太:唉,你沒必要自責,黑爾太太。不管怎麼說我們也不可能瞭解別人的家務事,直到——有些事情浮出水面。
  黑爾太太:沒有孩子會省很多事情——但也會讓房子死氣沉沉。賴特整天在外工作,即使回來也不會陪她。你認識約翰·賴特吧?
  彼得斯太太:不算認識。我在鎮上見過他。他們說他是個好人。
  黑爾太太:是——好人。他不喝酒,也像大多數人那樣講信用。我想他也不欠債。但他卻是一個冷酷無情的人。和他過日子,(顫抖)就像寒風刺骨一般。(停頓,她的目光落在那個鳥籠上)我應該想到她想要一隻鳥的。但你說它到底出了什麼事?
  彼得斯太太:我不知道。要不就是它生病死了。(她過去搖了搖被毀壞的門,又搖了一下。她們都看著那扇門。)
  黑爾太太:你以前沒有到這附近來過吧?(彼得斯太太搖搖頭)你不認識——她?
  彼得斯太太:直到他們昨天把她帶走時我才認識的。
  黑爾太太:想想整件事,她就像一隻鳥,既漂亮又甜美,但是又有點膽怯地——拍著翅膀——她是——怎麼——變的(沉默,又像是被什麼好主意所打動,注意力又重新回到了正題)我說,為什麼不把那個百衲被帶上呢?她可能正惦記著那活兒呢。
  彼得斯太太:對啊,真是個好主意,黑爾太太。沒人會反對,不是嗎?現在看看還能帶些什麼?我不知道她的布塊是不是還在。——還有她的東西。(她們朝針線簍裡看去。)
  黑爾太太:這兒有個紅色的東西。我想這裡面是她做針線用的東西吧。也許她的剪刀就放在這裡面。(打開盒子,突然用手摀住鼻子)呀——(彼得斯太太走過來,然後轉開她的臉)這塊絲綢裡包著什麼東西。
  彼得斯太太:呀,這不是她的剪刀。
  黑爾太太:(把那塊絲綢拿開)啊,彼得斯太太。這是——(彼得斯太太湊近了點兒。)
  彼得斯太太:一隻鳥。
  黑爾太太:(跳了起來)彼得斯太太——看,它那脖子,看它的脖子,都歪了。
  彼得斯太太:有人——扭斷了——它的——脖子。(她們對視著,流露出恍然大悟且充滿恐懼的神情。聽到外面的腳步聲,黑爾太太把盒子偷偷放在布塊下,陷在椅子裡。警長和律師走了進來,彼得斯太太站了起來。)
  律師:(像從正經事轉入輕鬆話題)哈,女士們,你們確定她要走平針還是打花結了嗎?
  彼得斯太太:我們猜她是想打花結。
  律師:啊,我猜那一定很有意思。(看到了那個籠子)那隻鳥飛走了嗎?
  黑爾太太:(用更多碎布蓋住那個盒子)我想是貓把它叼走的。
  律師:(心不在焉地)這兒有貓嗎?(黑爾太太很快偷瞥了彼得斯太太一眼。)
  彼得斯太太:噢,不是現在。你瞧,他們很迷信。貓都跑了。
  律師:(和彼得斯警長繼續一個被打斷的談話)沒有跡象表明有人從外面進來。繩子也是他們自己的。我們現在再上樓看看去,仔細核對一下。(他開始上樓)一定是已經有人知道——(彼得斯太太坐下。兩個女人坐在那兒並不看對方,但都好像在偷看什麼東西,同時又想克制住不去看。當她們開始談話時,也感到自己很奇怪,好像很害怕她們正在說的話,卻又忍不住要說。)
黑爾太太:她喜歡那隻鳥。她想把它埋在那個漂亮的盒子裡。
  彼得斯太太:(輕聲地)當我還是姑娘的時候——我的貓——一個手裡拿著小斧的男孩,當著我的面——在我走過去之前——(突然摀住臉)如果不是他們拉住我,我早就(努力克制自己,看著樓上腳步聲傳來的方向,虛弱地搖晃著)——「傷」到他了。
  黑爾太太:(緩緩地看著她)我不明白他們怎麼會沒有孩子在身邊。(停頓)對了,賴特不喜歡那隻鳥——能唱歌的東西。她過去常常唱歌。他也扼殺了她的愛好。
  彼得斯太太:(艱難地挪動著步子)我們不知道誰殺了那隻鳥。
  黑爾太太:我瞭解約翰·賴特。
  彼得斯太太:那天晚上這屋子裡發生了一件可怕的事,黑爾太太。有人殺死了一個熟睡中的人,把繩子偷偷套在他的脖子上,使其窒息而死。
  黑爾太太:他的脖子,窒息而死。(她伸出手搭在那個鳥籠子上。)
  彼得斯太太:(高聲地)我們不知道誰殺了他,我們不知道。
  黑爾太太:(她的情緒並沒有被打斷)要是在這常年空無一物的屋子裡能聽到鳥兒的歌唱該多好啊!而鳥兒死後又是一片死寂,可怕的死寂。
  彼得斯太太:(她的聲音裡像是夾著什麼東西)我知道什麼叫死寂。當我們還住在達科塔時,我的第一個孩子死了——那時他才兩歲。而我當時身邊沒有其他人——
  黑爾太太:(走動)你覺得他們要多長時間才能結束,還在尋找證據?
  彼得斯太太:我知道什麼叫死寂。(退回去)法律必須嚴懲罪惡,黑爾太太。
  黑爾太太:(不像在回答)真希望你能看一看米莉·佛斯特穿著白色長裙,繫著藍色腰帶,站在合唱隊裡唱歌的光景。(環視整個屋子)唉,要是我能偶爾到這兒來看看就好了!這是犯罪!誰將來懲罰這罪孽?
  彼得斯太太:(向樓上看去)我決不能——允許。
  黑爾太太:我早該想到她需要幫助!身為女人,我該知道事情的狀況。我跟你說,這真奇怪,彼得斯太太。我們住得很近又像離得很遠。我們都經歷過同樣的事情——都是同一個故事的不同腳本罷了。(揉了揉她的眼睛,注意到那瓶果醬,去拿起來)如果我是你,就不會告訴她果醬已經沒了。告訴她還沒有壞,告訴她都是好的吧,帶上這個去作證。她——她可能永遠也不知道果醬到底壞沒壞。
  彼得斯太太:(拿起瓶子到處找東西把它包起來。她扯下一件衣服裡的襯裙,這件衣服是從另一個房間拿來的。她非常緊張地開始把瓶子包起來,聲音都變了)感謝上帝,那些男人聽不到我們說話真是太好了。難道他們不會嘲笑嗎?為一個小東西都能鬧彆扭,像這只——死了的金絲雀。好像跟什麼事有關——難道他們不會嘲笑嗎?(男人的聲音到了樓下。)
  黑爾太太:(屏住呼吸)他們也許會——也許不會。
  律師:不,彼得斯。一切完全清楚了,只差一個謀殺的理由。但你知道一提到女人,陪審團會怎麼裁決吧。要是有確鑿的證據就好了。有些東西可以表明——可以使案情成立的東西——可以把這種奇怪的殺人法串起來的東西——(女人們飛快地對視了一下,黑爾從門外進來)
  黑爾:啊,我已經把那些牲口搞定了。外面可真冷啊。
  律師:我想在這兒單獨呆會兒。(對警長)你叫弗蘭克到外面等我,可以嗎?我想仔細清理一遍每一件物品。如果毫無進展,我是不會罷休的。
  警長:你想看看彼得斯太太帶了些什麼嗎?(律師走向桌子,拿起圍裙,笑了。)
  律師:啊,我猜女士們挑的東西不會有什麼問題。(碰了一下旁邊的一些東西,翻了翻蓋在盒子上的碎布,退後。)不,彼得斯太太用不著監督。因為做警長的妻子不就等於嫁給了法律了嗎?是這樣嗎,彼得斯太太?
  彼得斯太太:不——一定。
  警長:(偷笑)嫁給法律。(向另一間屋子走去)你快到這裡來看看,喬治。我們該看看那些窗戶。
  律師:(嘲笑地)啊,窗戶!
  警長:我們馬上就到外面去,黑爾先生。(黑爾走了出去,警長跟律師到了另一間屋子,接著黑爾太太站了起來,緊握住手緊張地看著彼得斯太太,彼得斯太太的目光緩緩轉過來,最後與黑爾太太相遇。一下子,黑爾太太盯了她一會兒,目光一直延伸到藏盒子的地方。突然彼得斯太太把拼被子的碎布掰開,試圖將盒子放入她的背包裡。可那盒子太大了。她打開盒子,想把那隻鳥拿出來,卻摸不到它,她又到碎布裡去找,最後無助地站在那兒。從另一間屋子傳來門鈕的聲音。黑爾太太抓起那個盒子,放在自己大衣的口袋裡。律師和警長進來了。)
  律師:(開玩笑地)嗯,亨利。我們至少發現她不想走平針。她要——你們叫做什麼來著,女士們?
  黑爾太太:(她的手抵住口袋)我們叫它——打花結,亨德森先生。
  (幕落)

沒有留言:

張貼留言